Thursday, December 29, 2011

Vacationing with a Special Needs Toddler

This week we went to the Poconos for a mini-vacation.  We were hoping to be there for 4 days and ended up leaving early.  I was hoping for snow to let Livy play in it, but no such luck.  We had rain instead.  The first night I went to the outlets and got to leave Liv behind.  The next day we went to an indoor water park that was crowded, of course it was due to the rain.  When you go to a place like that with a child that can't walk, it can get frustrating.  The kids just run through the water and splash her, which she doesn't like.  She didn't mind the wave pool.  That's where we spent most of the time.  I can only take the water for so long.  It would be one thing if Liv could go down some slides or sit in the water herself, but she can't.  It's like having an infant at a water park.  Water parks used to be my favorite thing, but I have lost interest.  Then we went to dinner and Liv wanted to throw all of her toys on the floor repeatedly.  I got fed up.  I can only pick up the darn things so many times.  It's not like this is different than any other time we go out to eat, but I envision vacation as having a chance to breath.  I was so fed up that we decided to cut the trip short and just go home.  I felt better when we got home and everything was familiar.  I'm hoping that someday vacationing will be easier.  We are supposed to go to Martha's Vineyard this summer with family, but I'm not sure if I can do it.  It will be 7 hours away, which means cutting the trip short will be harder.  Plus we never been in the car longer than 3 hours with her.  It's stressing me out and we aren't even close to going yet.  Maybe I'll just have to pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment