Monday, February 14, 2011

Milestones

After having children over for Liv's party, we came to the realization that she is really far behind mentally.  I had no idea that children 1 1/2 can show you where their ears are and know that a bunny hops.  Olivia can't make connections to things.  I think she looks at all of her toys like they are toys and not a specific stuffed animal that can do things in real life.  I never noticed how far behind she was until Saturday.  Even though she doesn't make connections and is no where near where she should be, I still feel like she is an amazingly smart girl.
At the party, Liv stuck her tongue out.  Believe it or not, this is a milestone for her.  She has oral sensory issues and still doesn't chew her food.  Which she used to get by on, but  now needs a feeding tube.  She has never been able to work her tongue.  I yelled across the room to Drew that she stuck her tongue out.  I could tell the other parents are like what's the big deal.  I tried to explain that it is huge for her, but I don't think they get it.  If anything, I am able to notice many more milestones because they happen more slowly.  I think people take our natural body movements for granted.  I know I had until I had Liv.  But the even better part, is that she did it the next day too.  Liv tends to forget things that she has already learned.  It's hard to watch her say all done about 100 times a day and go to us barely getting it out of her once a day.  It's because she forgot that she could say it.  It has happened with other words as well.  I hope her sticking her tongue out will lead to chewing food.

No comments:

Post a Comment